Saturday, July 18, 2009

delight for the taste bud...

Now, I will admit that I think about food a lot... meals I have eaten...meals I want to eat....meals others make that I wish I had the opportunity to eat....the list goes on and on. Sometimes the simplest things leave the greatest impression.....like my quickie breakfast I had to eat to take my pills.....what was it....well it was my own version of Greek yogurt, granola and honey....simple and delicious. I discovered Greek yogurt in food magazines. Our local stores do not carry it so I had to wait until a trip to a large city provided the opportunity to buy some and try it....and I fell in love.....no longer would those no fat...no sugar....gelatin solidified whatever suffice.... But I could not purchase this product locally....so what could I do.....then I discovered that I could make my own by purchasing plain, whole fat yogurt (1 Quart) and draining it through a coffee filter...in the fridge...and it would get thicker and thicker as it sat. It works....and you would be amazed at the amount of liquid that deposits in the glass container under my coffee filter lined strainer. Perfect. Now you may want a sweeter product that what I enjoy....and you can play with all kinds of jams to create any fruit flavor your little heart desires.....personally I like blackberry jam mixed into mine....oh yes....delicious..... The other meal consumed this week that I remember with groans of pleasure was a meal of shrimp and grits...found in a place that my husband had heard about and we decided to try out....it had lots of personality, a humorous menu....and fabulous shrimp and grits...... Now I am a Yankee....and grits are not a natural love of mine.....although I make cheese grits for Christmas brunch every year...and they are lovely....but this dish was sublime....I groaned with pleasure with each bite....of cheesy grits...and spicy shrimp.....and we will go back ....and eat that dish....again...and again....it was so good.....aww....food..... I do thank God that it is necessary for life.....if we have to eat to stay alive.....we might as well enjoy it each bite along the way......so what should I fix for brunch...hmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment